In 1989, the Ozanam Family Shelter Corporation was founded by the St. Vincent de Paul Society Evansville District. The shelter was located on the top floor of the St. Anthony Center for Family Life. The original shelter housed eight families.
In 1992, a second shelter was established at 1100 Read Street. With the extra rooms, Ozanam was able to house eighteen families who were in need of temporary emergency housing.
In 1999, the Board of Directors realized there was an additional need not being fulfilled by the shelter. In July, they voted to allow single women to enter the Read Street facility. In the following eleven months, the shelter housed seventy-one women.
In August 2004, in order to eliminate the expense of maintaining two shelters, construction of a second floor addition including eight family rooms and four bathrooms, was initiated at the Read Street facility.
In September 2005, the St. Anthony facility was closed and all operations were moved to the present location. The shelter provides a safe space for up to eighteen families and four single women. Ten staff members provide around-the-clock supervision and support.